Sunday, March 29, 2009

40 Weeks = Due Date


I expected today to be rather anti-climatic so at least I'm not too disappointed that I still have no baby. We have friends coming over for dinner tonight so I am at least distracted.

The only real change is that the baby has dropped. He had dropped a little, but now he's dropped a lot. Jonathan and I went and played putt-putt golf at Main Event the other night and after we got home I felt a ton of pressure and I was extremely uncomfortable. The only way to get somewhat comfortable was in the bath tub so I got in for about an hour with a book while the baby burrowed his way further down. I have to pee way more often, which isn't that big a deal, but my back hurts all the time now and sleeping has become much more difficult.

I've tried almost every home remedy to get him here. I start again tomorrow with acupuncture and a doc. appt. and I'm hoping that I'm dilated enough for him to strip my membrane. I'm also hoping that I actually get to see my doctor tomorrow as I have some questions. If he is able to strip my membrane I may also try the dreaded castor oil, especially if he insists on inducing by 41 weeks. Desperate times call for desperate measures.


This Week:
  • Much of the vernix has vanished but you will notice traces on her body.
  • 15% of your child's body is fat. Since he hasn't learned to shiver yet, these fat stores will help regulate his temperature.
  • Approximately 60 - 75 percent is water!
  • Your baby's chest sticks out, almost as if he's ready to strut proudly over his accomplishment!
  • His lungs will continue developing until birth. They are manufacturing large quantities of surfactant which works to keep the air sacs open.
  • She continues to grow; her hair and nails longer as well. You may need to trim those fingernails soon after birth or protect her face from scratches with mittens.
  • Small breast buds are present on both sexes.
  • The baby now weighs 7.6 pounds (3462gm) and is 20.2 inches (51.2cm) long.
  • Congratulations! Any day now you will be cradling your son!

No comments: